Badges, badges, we don’t need no stinkin’ badges!

Hedley Lamar: “Here, here are your badges.”

Mexican Banditos: “Badges, badges, we don’t need no stinkin’ badges.”

Sitting at my workstation I noticed the brightly coloured cord hanging from my spare monitor. Attached to it are a variety of passes and badges from events I have covered. Among them are a selection from various Roller Derby bouts I have attended. Thinking back, I realised that I’ve not been given one for a while. In the early days I think there was a great deal of scepticism about photographers. Bad experiences, for whatever reason. But I like to think that I’ve built up a good reputation over the last couple of years and now I just wander in to bouts with a smile and a wave.

Hedley Lamar in Blazin’ Saddles lists the sort of villains and desperados he’s looking for to drive out the good folk of Rock Ridge.

“I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, shit-kickers and Methodists.”

I don’t think I fit in to any of those categories. Although, I’m intrigued by hornswogglers, and while I have no idea what one is, I may want to be one when I grow up.

It’s this good reputation I want to build on when I head out to the World Cup. I already have a mental picture of all the images I want to capture. The next step is to make the right contacts. Put myself about, introduce people to what I have to offer. Build on my reputation and ability to provide the Roller Derby scene with world-class photography. Well, that’s the plan. We’ll see how it goes.

…and as for that Lili Von Shtupp. I go weak at the knees.

Ohhh, a wed wose, how womantic.

Comments

Popular Posts