Well, that was 2017. Bring on the World Cup.


Anarchy VI at the Spectrum leisure centre in Guildford

2017 saw me cut down the amount of Derby I’ve been shooting over the past few years, 15 events from 22 in 2016 and 25 in 2015. It has felt good to reclaim some weekends. Saving on travel expenses has also helped. There are times when one has felt, burnt out, jaded, and it’s hard to drag oneself to a bout, but to be honest, once there, I have always enjoyed them.


Kalamity James, Newcastle Roller Girls at EuroClash


London Rollergirls versus the USA

This year has seen me cover England’s journey to the World Cup, Anarchy VI, Northern Hemisfear and EuroClash. It has also allowed me to cover the 10th anniversary of two teams I have had a close affiliation with, London Rockin’ Rollers, who hosted some old school Derby, knee starts and some confusion at their ‘Where’s the ball?’ event  and Leeds Roller Derby, a fusion of Leeds Roller Dolls and Hot Wheel Roller Derby, re-branded and re-united. Also London Rollergirls as they took on the USA and the tier 1 women’s and men’s final of the British Championships. It has also seen me duck out of some major events due restrictive policies regarding photography.  My principles will always override the need to get ‘the shot’. Especially when ‘the shot’ will neither further my career or make me rich.



London Rockin' Rollers, Where's the Ball?


Leeds Roller Derby

I’ve always been a print junkie and it was nice to end the year seeing some of my images used in Sport in profile’s article on the Birmingham Blitz Dames.

With work finally over for the year I’m looking forward to some down time. Time to catch up on projects I’ve been neglecting and to recharge, ready for the World Cup, an event I always enjoy. Four days of intense shooting, photographing some of the best skaters from around the world and the chance to see some new countries and skaters attending the event for the first time. Also time to catch up with friends I’ve not seen in a while.


England Roller Derby versus the USA


England Roller Derby 

So while I need some rest, bring on the World Cup, the cameras are ready and need an outing.

www.roller-derby-on-film.co.uk




Comments

Popular Posts