Shooting London vs Gotham


I like big games. They give me an adrenaline rush. A finite time to capture as best as one can the feel and excitement of the day. The Derby scene has changed dramatically over the past few years. When I first got involved there were far fewer teams and a lot less bouts. One a month if you were lucky, so everyone travelled to watch and to learn their craft. It allowed relationships to be forged amongst teams and new friends to be made. As the scene developed, more teams and more bouts meant skaters travelled less to see other teams.

Big American teams provide a gravitas which brings the Derby community in the UK together. Arguably, none come any bigger than Gotham and a rematch with London was a bout everyone wanted to see.

Travelling the length and breadth of the country I am lucky to know many from other teams. Bouts like this gives me the opportunity to see old friends all in one place. Skaters from Glasgow Roller Derby, Newcastle Rollergirls, Middlesbrough Milk Rollers, Leeds Roller Dolls, Sheffield Steel Rollergirls, Rainy City Roller Derby, Manchester Roller Derby, Hot Wheel Roller Derby, Lincolnshire Bombers Rollergirls, London Rockin’ Rollers and Surrey Roller Girls and probably many more I didn’t clock were all there.  As well as all the refs and NSOs that are constantly on the move to support the game.

As for the game itself I will leave others to re-cap. From behind the lens I don’t get to see much, let alone follow intricacies of game-play. Keeping an eye on the track and the ebb and flow of the emotions from both the crowd and players consumes my whole attention.

What I enjoy is the opportunity to meet new people, catch-up with old friends and see the whole community come together, united for the love of the game.

While big games give me an adrenaline rush, shooting the actual bout doesn’t represent any greater challenge than usual, In fact, in essence it’s easier, the old adage, ‘good athletes make for good images, great athletes make great images’, holds true.

I always say that if I can come away with just one image that sums up the day I am happy. Every now and again you get lucky. This time I feel I did. Job done.


Shortstop (Gotham Girls Roller Derby) and Shaolynn Scarlett (London Rollergirls) take a selfie.

Comments

Popular Posts