Giving 100%

If you want to succeed you need to give it 100%, possibly 115%. Me, I’ll settle for 50-60%. One should always make space for good beer, friends and trips down the Derwent in a large Yorkshire pudding.

I will admit it. I am a print junkie. I love it. From old, second hand book shops to print jobs fresh off the press, the smell and tactile nature of the final product give me a thrill. Admittedly, I still need to learn to read but I love looking at the pictures.

The web leaves me a tad, meh. It’s okay, but does little for me. Downloading a latest album and listening to it on my computer does the job but falls way short of laying back on the bed, unfolding a gate-fold album cover whilst the vinyl steadily rotates on the record player, the stylus slowly making its way inwards.

It’s the same with pictures. Viewing images on screen is fine, but opening a magazine and seeing a double page spread, whether it be a minimalist black and white image or a glorious eye-popping colour one, excites me.

Roller Derby has always chased technology and technology in turn has helped shape it. The advent of ‘cheap’ imaging equipment has helped spread the word.  But still, the lack of decent venues pushes this technology to its limits.

I shoot for print, the fact that the images end up on some hard-drive somewhere is a moot point. It’s the personal satisfaction, that if needed, they will work as a double-page spread.

So I thought I’d share what you see on screen on Facebook, with a 100% crop from the original, should you ever need to print that big.


Teeside Skate Invaders versus Son’s of Icarus – full image


Teeside Skate Invaders versus Son’s of Icarus – 100% crop


Leeds Roller Dolls, Rebel Roses versus London Rollergirls, Brawl Saints – full image


Leeds Roller Dolls, Rebel Roses versus London Rollergirls, Brawl Saints – 100% crop



Comments

Popular Posts