2012 – a round up

Now that I’ve shot my final bout of the year it’s a time for reflection and a look back on the past year.

In 2011 I shot 58 bouts/mini bouts. It was unsustainable. I vowed to cut down. I’m doing better. 2012 saw me cover 54 bouts/mini bouts. I’m tired. I’m looking forward to a break, but at least I cut down.

Thanks to all the teams I’ve worked with who have made me most welcome at their bouts.

My memory is a little fuzzy on the following facts so some may blur in to the previous year.

Apart from dashing off round the country, mainly in the search for decent pubs, and Berlin for more pretzels than I care to see again, here are a few of the other things I’ve been up to.

My work has been published in Inside Line magazine, issues 3, 4, 5 and 6 (And 1 and 2 from 2011). Also scooping 1st place in the Training category in their first photo competition. And a two part article on Roller Derby photography in issues 4 and 5. Lead Jammer, issues 3 and 4 with a front cover in issue 4. Thanks to Cecee from Leeds Roller Dolls for striking the pose (All I do is press a button). Blood and Thunder magazine, issues 19, 20 and 21 (but my work goes back to issues 16, 17 and 18). Thanks to everyone who has helped out by contributing write-ups. Look out for a review of Track Queens, Battle Royal in the next one.

A couple of books have come out recently, Ellen Parnavelas’s Flat Track Fashion, the Roller Derby Look Book and The Roller Derby Athlete both of which feature my photography. And both are available from Amazon. Go on, you’ve still got time to order them for Christmas.  I will get my own book finished over Christmas. I’ve vowed to. A few other jobs may have to drop off the edges, but hey, I don’t like ironing so I can put it off for another year.

A few other articles in various magazines and newspapers, names I cannot remember. An article on the BBC website is coming out soon, but I know no more than that. I’ll post details when I know more.

Then “This is Roller Derby – photos from the flat track”, a solo exhibition I ran in Sheffield in November. A few of the photos were also featured in Felicity Hoy’s prohibition exhibition in December.

Also a rework of the UKRDA logo to incorporate men’s Roller Derby, plus four programmes for the Sheffield Steel Roller Girls.

There were many other days of processing photographs from bouts, usually accompanied by more bottles of Rioja than my liver cares to remember. Plus many other smaller jobs. I told you my mind is fuzzy.

So here’s to a long sleep and to get refreshed and ready for 2013.

Comments

Popular Posts