There’s enough reality to deal with, without generating more.


Can you spot the skaters?


I’ve neglected this blog. I think after Covid a bit of all of us gave up. What’s the point? Generative AI reinforced this attitude. Why bother, if we’re all doomed. If people prefer this new reality, then so be it, but I want nothing to do with it. It's probably because the images I’ve attempted to create by AI have been, well, a bit crap. Those highly polished AI images you see on Social Media, having been generated, with all their glaring issues, only to be airbrushed by someone on Photoshop to tidy up the flaws. Yes AI is great at generating a cat riding a unicorn playing an accordion, but anything that’s life-like, well, the fingers give the game away. Sure, there are some people out there with five, six, eight, maybe sixteen fingers on their hand, plus a thumb, but very few, and certainly not everyone. 


I don’t need AI to create a crap image. I have a pinhole camera to do that, and with World Wide Pinhole Day fast approaching, it’s time to dust off that hole and create some more. At f138, and film that's no faster than ISO 400, it’s not made for action, more blurry images. Unfortunately, Derby for me is on a Saturday this weekend, so while I could take some pinhole pictures, those for Pinhole Day need to be shot on the Sunday. I have a long walk in the Peaks planned for Sunday, however, as the weather report is wind, rain, sleet and general nastiness, they will all be of me in various stages of downing a pint in a warm public house, cursing the very thought of a long walk in the country. 


So, in anticipation of Sunday, here are some actual pinhole Derby pictures, shot at various events, that did fall on the last weekend of April. Yes they are blurry, but arguably no worse than those shot on digital, and far better than those generated by AI. Just. 


www.roller-derby-on-film.co.uk


Comments

Popular Posts